Sunday, November 9, 2008

When it rains, it pours

No, it didn't rain today. It was a perfectly lovely cold, crisp, sunny day. So what's with the title? Well.... our first visitor to Afton Station today was a very nice man from Hutchinson, Kansas who presented me with a 1 1/2 lb. box of salt! An odd gift, I suppose, unless you realize that the Morton Salt Co. has just come out with some mighty fine retro packaging to commemorate their 75th Anniversary. This one has the original 1933 picture of the "umbrella girl", and the man who gave me the gift happens to work for the Morton Salt company. An unusual but welcome gift!

We also had a visit from three quite gorgeous street rods from Kansas City. They're on their first day of a cross-country trip to Phoenix and wanted to do a good bit of the trip on Route 66. They were lovely people with lovely cars, indeed. I was especially partial to the woody, which incidentally carried the license tag "WOODY".

It was another quiet day, which is becoming typical for these cold almost-winter days. I'm not giving up yet, though. I'll go another week staying open for 4 days, and if the visitor rate continues to fall, I will then go to weekend hours only -- or by appointment, of course. I hate to do it, but I'll be doing my part for the energy crisis by not driving 160 miles for no reason.


Here's a photo I took yesterday of Doug and Sue Smith. He's the guy who took all the great photos. I'll be publishing more of his photos, one by one, as time goes on. They take so long to load that I can't do many at a time.

5 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Love the retro car pictures, thanks for sharing. Sorry that business is down.

Love the salt gift :o)

Beth said...

I just bought one of those containers of salt the other day and thought, "Wow, cool packaging!" LOL

Ron McCoy said...

Who knew? They have an Underground Sale Museum in Hutchinson, Kansas!!

Ron

Ron McCoy said...

Make that: Underground SALT Museum in Hutchinson, Kansas!!

Laurel said...

I didn't know about the importance of salt to Kansas either. But today when I told Joe that a visitor had given me a box of salt, he said "Oh, he must have been from Kansas." How did I miss that little bit of trivia?