Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just a day

If you're looking for a blogful of excitement today, I urge you to find another blog. Although this was a fine day, I'm having trouble figuring out how to edit my activities to make them blogworthy. Yeah, it was a nice day, but not much to blog about.

I had another outstanding breakfast at Clanton's in Vinita on the way to Afton this morning. It's really not surprising that they're always crowded. I arrived to a frigid Afton Station with a cold wind blowing so hard that I didn't look forward to putting out the "open" signs. It was actually 44 degrees outside, so if you happen to be reading this from Minnesota, North Dakota, or Iceland, quit laughing! Around here, where "the wind comes sweepin' down the plain" (thank you, Rogders and Hammerstein), 44 degrees can be pretty darn nasty. Even so, it took the Station a lot less time to warm up than it took for me to get my first visitor.

The aforementioned first visitor was a truck driver from Arizona. He was a really nice guy who stayed about 90 minutes, probably since I spent a lot of that time plying him with questions. I've always been fascinated by the truck driving profession, and this guy is a driver trainer so he could answer them all. He loves his job, and always tries to take the back roads whenever possible. Although he loses time by stopping at lots of interesting places along the way, he makes it up by using truck stops strictly for sleeping and doesn't hang out in them like many truckers do. He's in the market for a Packard to restore when he retires, which will happen within the next couple of years.

I had another visitor later in the day, a guy pulling a trailer full of Shelby Cobra! He just bought it and asked if he could bring his Shelby club to Afton Station on their cruise in March. Of course he can!

Ron Jones came in the afternoon because he was planning to meet a traveler from California there as she passed through on her Route 66 trip. Since she wasn't going to arrive until 4, I headed for home before meeting her, and I left Ron to close up for me.

David called and asked me to ride with him in the pace car (his Studebaker) for the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa tomorrow. Although it means I can't be at Afton Station, I just couldn't turn down this offer. I'm kind of a parade junkie, and being in the pace car of a marathon is enough like a parade to tempt me totally. The marathon is expecting about 8000 participants and has turned into quite a big event. Afterwards there's a vintage car show, refreshments, music, etc. It will be cold but FUN, I'm sure. I'll have a full report tomorrow. Ron Jones will hold down the fort for me at Afton Station.

I got the car washed on the way home. Since nothing worth photographing happened today, I took this picture in the car wash. Lame, huh? Well, a picture of anything is better than no picture at all, I always say......


Carly said...

Hello Laurel :)

Welcome to the ELLIPSIS Monday Photo Shoot. :) Thank you so much for joining in the fun, it's nice to meet you. I hope you will join us again. One thing, if you could, could you please link to the assignment entry so that other's can find the challenge, and play along as well? :) Once again, thank you for playing challenge #10 Windows!

All my best, Carly

Anonymous said...

I like your car wash photo. Watch for me tomorrow in the sea of humanity ... I'll be wearing number 166 in the half marathon. :)

Ken Riches said...

Shelby - cool. Glad that the car club will stop by in the summer :o)

Beth said...

Sweet about the trailer full of Shelbys. I bet that was a gorgeous site!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Hi, Laurel! I like your window shot very much, and I'm very pleased to see a blog from a Route 66 business. John and I drove through there back in 1986, and actually got one of the US 66 signs from an Oklahoma shop. I just checked my photos, though, and it wasn't your place. (Sorry!) Was your building restored back then?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Laurel! Wecome! Very good car wash photo! :)