Sunday, August 1, 2010

Clark Gable et al

Clark Gable loved Packards. His most famous one was his 1940 Darrin One Eighty, but he had others. So, when he appeared in our showroom today and asked if he could just sit in one of his beloved Packards, we were thrilled. Of course we were also greatly surprised, since he's been dead since 1960. I guess when deceased movie idols come back to life, they come back in sepia. (Ok, this is a photo of a photo that hangs in our showroom. I knew I couldn't fool you! Just trying to whip up a little excitement. Sorry. Clark was awfully hot though, don't 'ya think?)

What thrills me for real these days is the number of young families with children who are driving Route 66 and visiting Afton Station. The increase in those numbers is stunning. Every day, we have more and more little kids visiting, and we love it. I know I've mentioned this increase before, but it's worth repeating. Whereas most of our visitors used to be from the ranks of the retired or near-retired, this year at least half of the folks who come to see us are young families. With this increase, it gives great hope that Route 66 is not dying or, worse yet, being deemed irrelevant. It's alive and vital and considered a worthwhile destination for young folks.

We had another very busy day at the Station today. Ron M. and Tattoo Man were there to help out. Our 31 visitors came from Mustang OK, Tulsa OK, Rantoul IL, Jones OK, Madrid Spain, Fayetteville AR, Woodbury MN, Annecy France, Arlington VA, Hutchinson KS, Bucyrus KS, and Cleora IL. Special visits were from my favorite checker at my favorite grocery store, who brought her husband and father-in-law up from Tulsa, and our dear friends Julie and Larry Miner, also from Tulsa.

Speaking of visits from kids, this little girl, traveling with her father from Woodbury, Minnesota, was one of the most smily and pleasant guests we've had in a long time. Clearly, she was having a ball with her dad on their trek across Route 66. Here she is selecting some postcards.

On the way out of the Station, I accidentally tripped the burglar alarm, so we had a visit from the very nice Sheriff. He recognized me, of course (remember, we're the only ones in town!), so I was spared having to hit the ground with my hands behind my back! Good to know that we're being protected.

For your looking pleasure, here's a cool photo of our 1930 Model A pickup street rod. Ron M. took it. It's a pretty slick little car.


No comments: