Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Odds and Ends on a Non-Afton Day

I love back alleys. (Please don't judge me.) There's just something grittily romantic about the back sides of stores. Whenever possible, I roam around and try to find what's behind fancy Main Street storefronts. You never know what you'll see back there, other than trash cans and discarded boxes. In Chandler, Oklahoma, there's a very old brick outhouse behind a row of Main Street stores. In the town where I used to live, I found a tiny little locksmith shop that was unknown to nearly everyone in town. There's a life back there. You just have to find it.

Yesterday morning I was driving around Claremore because I was running early on my trip to Afton. Claremore has a couple of picturesque back alleys. One of them is pictured above. After Claremore, I drove around Chelsea a little bit and found this bench. A gentleman from Afton brought me a magazine from 1931 which was introducing some of the new cars for the year. Since Afton Station specializes in Packards, I scanned this one. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. (I love to say that. It makes me feel SO ancient!) There are also some pretty nifty Ford and Chevrolet ads in the magazine, which I'll scan and post another time. It was published right as the Depression was starting to ease up, so some of the articles in the magazine had certain pertinence to today's economic situation.

That's all for today, folks.


1 comment:

Trevor Hilton said...

Matthew 7:14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

I like to find my "inner Lewis and Clark" sometimes, too.