Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A gift from a friend

One of the best things about being part of the Route 66 eight-state community is the people you can call friends. Sometimes, you feel they're friends even if you've never laid eyes on them. Jim Hinckley from Arizona, one such friend, sent me a wonderful surprise birthday present that arrived yesterday -- a copy of his newest book, Ghost Towns of the Southwest. This is one BEAUTIFUL book! It showcases a large number of former mining towns in New Mexico and Arizona, with impeccably researched descriptions and phenomenal and often haunting photographs by Kerrick James . Of course, there's quite a bit about Route 66, which makes it even more appealing to me. Jim is going to do a book on Ghost Towns of Route 66 one of these days, and I look forward to having it in my collection. In the meantime, this generous gift from Jim will be on my bedside table for a long time while I read every word and peruse every photo. I totally recommend it!

Thank you, Jim!



1 comment:

Trevor Hilton said...

His "Route 66 Backroads", "Big Book of Car Culture", and "Back Roads of Arizona" are all terrific.

I need to get that one, too.