Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Woooooo Hoooooo!!!

That's what a visitor from Australia wrote in the Guest Book today.  Apparently they enjoyed their visit to Afton Station, and I certainly enjoyed their visit.  What a fantastic day, with a lot of foreign travelers on Route 66 again today.  I handled the crowds alone most of the day, but Betty came in at a perfect time to help me out when a group of 11 on bikes from Lucerne, Switzerland, came in near the time I needed to close up and head for home.  Thanks so much, Betty!
The day started with a steak for breakfast at Clanton's.  And with scrambled eggs and a bowl of fruit, there wasn't a thing not on my kidney diet (except for a few orange sections in the fruit).   Yum!  I think this might be my first steak breakfast ever.  But since my dietitian is adamant that I must eat lots of meat, it won't be my last.

Ed Klein, a true hands-on Route 66 advocate, stopped in on his way home to Arizona after being away from home for 2 months, during which time he worked on a number of Route 66 projects.  For the past two days he's been working on renovations of a couple of rooms at the Boots Court in Carthage, Missouri.  We discussed, as we have before, the acquisition of the Rest Haven Motel sign in Afton.  I do hope that this possible soon.  We shall see.  In the meantime, it was great getting to meet Ed in person for the first time.

The aforementioned Swiss folks came so late in the day that I only had time to snap this one photo.  Most of the group was from the Lucerne region.
A big group of Kiwis from New Zealand being guided by Noddy, a tour director who has come to Afton several times before, stopped in around noon.  Driving Mustangs as usual, there were 22 in the group this time.  Here are a couple of them.
Australia was represented well today, too, with these four eager folks from Perth, friends traveling together, armed with their Images books for me to autograph.  I got to feel like a movie star again for a few minutes!
Next came Belgium - this happy, good looking couple on the trip of their lifetime.
And representing America today was this exuberant couple from Racine, Wisconsin, also embarking on a full Route 66 trip.   I loved these folks because they were fun and enthusiastic.    Also from the U.S. today were travelers from Seville OH, S. Mills NC, St Louis MO, and Pryor, OK.   They all energized me!   My happiness has overcome my exhaustion tonight and I'm ready for more this weekend.  Meanwhile, Robin will be greeting two separate groups tomorrow.  Wish I could be there.

No comments: