Saturday, September 1, 2012

Super September

If today is any indication, this should be a super September on Route 66.   Granted it's a holiday weekend, but if other Septembers are any indication, the number of visitors should do nothing but grow as the month progresses.  I hope that's true.  It's possible that I might have to close for a few days this month since Robin and Phil will be in California most of the month and I'm not sure I can get Marly to watch Afton Station on every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday when I can't be there.  But, we shall see.  Meanwhile, lets celebrate September 1st! 

We had 32 visitors today, and despite the fact that I was alone most of the day, there were no problems with crowd control since the folks seemed to arrive sequentially instead all at once.  Thus, I had time to chat a bit with everyone.  There was only one couple from out of the U.S., these young folks from Milano, Italy.   I think the number of foreign visitors will drop off now that August is a thing of the past.
Our visitors today came from Kansas City MO, Winfield KS, Prescott Valley AZ, Joplin MO, Daytona Beach FL, Chicago IL,  Palatine IL, Bixby OK, Ransom KS, Rensellaer IN, Madison WI, Ninnekah OK, Chickasha OK,  Velma OK, and Bull Shoals AR.  Most were on weekend trips on Route 66, but several planned to try to make it all the way to California.  There was a general feeling of happiness amidst the travelers today.

Betty, Robin, and Phil were all around for parts of the day, and as usual Robin and Phil opened and closed for me.  

To conclude the day, there was this beautiful sky display over Route 66 on the way home.