Friday, April 9, 2010

2 1/2 days

I'm 2 1/2 days behind on blogging, and I don't really have a lot of time even now. It's been quite the whirlwind, and it will continue for the rest of the weekend.

On Wednesday, I wasn't in Afton, but Marly was there and had 13 visitors from a variety of places which I forgot to write down. Oops!

On Thursday, it was another good day, with 14 visitors who came from Stockton CA, Mesquite TX, Pryor OK, Albuquerque NM, Green Bay WI, Afton OK, and Farmington Hills MI. I had my first native Hawaiian visitor, although now he and his wife live in Mesquite, TX. The Albuquerque folks were three generations of men who were traveling to Missouri to unearth some family history and see some long lost relatives. The grandfather is the great grandson of Kit Carson, so they were also going to attempt some genealogy study of the Carson clan. Grandpa and I had a wonderful chat while Dad and Son explored the cars in the showroom.

I left Afton in the very able hands of Marly at 2:30 so I could get home in time for my evening dialysis session, which I scheduled so that I could have today (Friday) free. Due to a few problems, I didn't get out of dialysis until about 10:45 p.m. and got in bed at around midnight.

And then, up early again to go to Afton this morning. I was in a bit of a fog today, but Ron M. and I had some down time in the morning so I was able to recuperate for a while. Our guest list for today included folks from Haysville KS, Baxter Springs KS, Joplin MO, Montreal Canada, Tamaqua PA, and our very special guests of the day -- and the reason we altered schedules in order to be there today -- were a group of 16 intrepid travelers from all parts of Australia. This tour has been arranged for a while, and tour leader was disappointed when they arrived in Chicago to find that the 8 rental Mustang convertibles they'd ordered in advance weren't available! They made the best of it, however, and they've been promised delivery of the Mustangs tonight in Tulsa. Until then, they were traveling in an array of cars and one motorcycle. They didn't arrive in Afton until after 4 p.m. due to a flat tire on one vehicle and one member of the tour needing to be hospitalized in Missouri (he's ok, just needed a day of rest before returning to the tour). They were a jolly group and I'm glad I was able to meet them.
Aussies browsing the Station and the merchandise
Marly chats with a couple from Haysville, KS who are traveling some of Route 66 on their motorcycle. Beautiful day for it!

Back to Afton early tomorrow. If all is going well with her, the lady riding her horse across Route 66 will be in Afton either tomorrow or Sunday. That should be really fun!

No comments: