Saturday, June 22, 2013

Solstice + Blackberries + Prime Rib = Overload!

First of all, happy Summer Solstice, the wonderful time just before the days start to get shorter and shorter.   I love long days!   I also love blackberries!   Every Saturday for about the past five, on our way to Afton Station Ron M. and I cruise past a tiny farmers' market in Chelsea to see if the blackberries have come in yet.   The two or three farmers there are beginning to recognize my car.  Well, today the blackberries were there!!!!  They are the biggest, sweetest, juciest berries I've ever seen, and they're just as good this year as last year.  Blackberry Cobbler, here I come!  

It was a great day at the Station today, too.  We visited with folks from Trolihittan Sweden, Omaha NE, South Bend IN, Norton Shores MI, Fort Collins CO, Lumberton TX, Oak Grove MO, Fontana KS, Wolfsburg Germany (I think), and Tulsa, Vinita, and Miami, OK.  
Here are the two couples from Sweden who were at our door even before we were officially open.  We welcomed them with open arms, however, and sped up the opening process just for them.  Lovely people!

A family from Tulsa along with grandpa from Lumberton, TX arrived in these two cool vehicles.  Love the '52 Pontiac Catalina!   They had two little kids who seemed to be  having a good time checking out all the nooks and crannies.
And then.... after all that excitement.... Ron M. and I decided to stop to eat on the way home.  Oh my goodness!  At 4:30 in the afternoon I had a huge hunk of prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, Caesar salad and the best croissant I've had in years.  Ron had a big 'ol sirloin steak, baked potato, Caesar salad and croissant.  Shame on us!   So now I'm home and feel like I need to go to bed and sleep it off immediately, whereas what I should do is exercise it off.   I vote for sleeping.   I'll be back in Afton tomorrow with more tales of happy travelers.


No comments: