Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Aussies are Back!

Very big day at Afton Station today! We visited with 13 visitors, plus a gigantic group of Australians brought to us once again by our favorite tour guide, Dale Butel. The Aussies came in two groups separated by about a half hour, which was fortunate because there were 72 travelers altogether. Being in two groups kept the crowding down, and Marly, Ron M., Tatoo, and I had a better chance to interact with the folks. As I've said several times in the past, Australians are such fun-loving people that I always look forward to seeing them. This time, Dale's group came in both rented cars and motorcycles. Here are a few random photos taken by Ron M.



Our other 13 visitors came from Catoosa OK, Temecula CA, Cologne Germany, Disney OK, Dallas OR, and Garland TX. This lady from Catoosa brought her two adorable doggies, J.J. and Riley. Or, perhaps they brought her. They certainly were leash tuggers! But they were well-behaved and beautifully groomed pups, and little Riley was one of the most "huggable" dogs I've ever met!
Now, for a little something completely off-topic, I introduce to you possibly the most ridiculous kitchen appliance ever put on the market. And yes, I bought one. Look! It's a microwave s'mores maker! I couldn't resist. It brought back such rich memories of gathering with Girl Scouts around the campfire of my youth. Just had to have one. Ron M. and I tried it out last night, and lo-and-behold, it produces decent s'mores. I know you're all jealous, aren't you?
See you tomorrow, when I'll have s'more to tell you. . .


4 comments:

DennyG said...

But how do you get the microwave lit?

Laurel said...

Blowtorch, as usual. . .

Beth said...

Wow, that's a lot of Aussies!

I've seen that S'more maker in catalogs and thought it was pretty cute. I'm glad it made good ones! I bet the marshmallows don't get those nice charred bits, though. haha

Laurel said...

Beth - I prefer the charred marshmallows too, but y'know ya can't have everything. I have a flat top electric stove (ugh!) which makes crappy toasted marshmallows, and my outdoor barbecue is on the fritz, so . . .
Nevertheless, the little machine is cute because it looks like a little robot. I've already grown fond of the little plastic guy.