Monday, June 20, 2011

King's Service Station, Afton

This is the extraordinary photo given to me yesterday by the King family during their visit to Afton Station. Mr. King's father is the second man from the right. They said that the family owned four service stations in Afton, but this one apparently no longer exists, since there are no buildings that even remotely resemble it standing now. It was a Conoco station on Route 66. If anyone who reads this blog can tell me any more about it, I'd appreciate it. Betty W. is also working on the dilemma. By the way, in the photo gasoline is selling for 15-cents a gallon!

6 comments:

grump said...

Laurel....
A neet picture and mystery... What is the year? I'm guessing early 40's.... A very nice house behind the station... Even had gutters... Let us know how Sherlock Betty does...
Grump......

Anonymous said...

This is my family's service station. I have no idea how many of these pictures my grandmother, Opal King, gave out, but I would be interested in knowing which of he family members gave you picture, as I know very little about this side of my dad's family. I' glad that you appreciate the picture as much as I do.

Jeri King

Jeri King said...

I didn't mean to click anonymous on my previous comment. Thanks for posting.

Dan King said...

The man to the far left is my father. His name was Woodrow Wilson King. Next to him is my grandfather. Then my uncle Jack. uncle Jim and far right is uncle Charles. My dad and mom lived in the house behind. I never knew what year that was.At that time my mother worked at Bassets store. The concrete under the columns were still there in 1994.

Laurel said...

Dan - I just spoke to your daughter Jerry. I don't know who gave me the photo, since it was dropped off one day when I wasn't at the Station. I told her I would ask around to some of the older residents and see what I can find out. Tommy Bassett might know something, since your mom worked at their store. I'll let you know!

Dan King said...

If the person that left the picture said that his dad was second from right then it had to be a cousin I haven't seen since the late 40s or early 50s. I think the picture was taken in the early or late 30s. Will research some more.