Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Weird Magnet"

I once had a friend give me a nickname -- Weird Magnet.   That's all I'm going to say about that, except that when it comes to days like today, I feel that I live up to the moniker.  It was another unique day at Afton Station on beautiful Route 66.   My friend Joe M. from Tulsa rode up with me this morning and stayed all day to observe the circus.  In reality, it wasn't a terribly busy day, but we sure had some interesting guests!  

These two young folks from near Buffalo, New York were our first visitors and they were lovely, perfectly normal folks.  They are taking a full Chicago-to-L.A. trip down the Mother Road, but with only 10 days free, I'm afraid they will have to skip some of the many attractions along the Route.  He said  he's wanted to take this trip for at least 10 years.
 I just realized that we had almost the same number of friends drop in as strangers.   Robin, Phil, Betty, Reuben Tipton, Crazy Legs Walker, and frequent visitor Michael Scruggs all stopped in over the course of the day.  Add Joe M. and me and it comes up equal.  But then, there ARE no strangers at Afton Station!

Crazy Legs came by on his way home from the National Quick Draw Championship weekend in Owasso, OK.  He didn't win, but he was pretty happy with his standings, since he hasn't been doing the sport for very long.  I think he said he placed 5th in the senior division and placed 30-something over all.

Other visitors came from Stuttgart Germany, Bella Vista AR, Poland OH, and Wyandotte and Broken Arrow, OK.

Believe me, Joe wasn't as bored as he looks in this picture.  Being a fine historian, he was just studying some of my Route 66 literature.  We actually spent the bulk of the day laughing! I really enjoyed having him along for the ride.

No comments: