Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Back to Work

It was great to be back to Afton Station, and it was a comfortably undramatic day.  Ron M. rode up to Afton with me, and Betty, Phil, and Marly all were around for parts of the day.  It was so nice to see them all, and it was great to find that all my very competent volunteers held down the fort so perfectly while I was gone.   They greeted 132 visitors last week, which isn't bad for mid-October, and they sold a good bit of merchandise, too.

Today, there were 18 visitors, but 7 of them arrived at the Station after Ron M. and I left.  Marly stayed behind and let me know via text when further travelers came in.  While I was there, the visitors came from Stoutsville OH, Amanda OH, Nora Springs IA, Winfield KS, Broken Arrow OK, Bella Vista AR, and Baxter Springs KS
These folks were our first visitors of the morning, traveling from my native state of Ohio.   They plan to get at least as far as Arizona on Route 66, then head north to the Grand Canyon.

Mike Pendleton from Baxter Springs, KS dropped by for a while, as he often does, to bring news from Kansas Route 66.  I was happy to hear that his wife Carolyn is finally recovering from several illnesses which all seemed to befall her at once.  Keep healing, Carolyn!

So, it turned out to be a fairly quiet day, which was perfect so I could catch up on some bookwork, etc.  I'm expecting some special guests on Thursday.  Looking forward to that!

No comments: