Thursday, November 4, 2010

Winter Hours? Hmmm. . .

The first thing I did when I arrived at Afton Station today was to look at the notes Robin left for me. She worked the last two days (Tues. and Wed.) and had a paltry grand total of 11 visitors altogether, almost all locals, and made no sales whatsoever. So, based on the severe reduction of the number of travelers, the next thing I did was to hang my "Winter Hours" sign on the door, on which I announced that we are going on reduced hours starting next week, i.e. open on weekends only.

But since nothing is ever predictable on Route 66 in Afton, Oklahoma, moments after I hung the sign the visitors started to arrive! And today turned out to be a glorious day with 16 wonderful visitors, all of them traveling Route 66 from far off places! Now, I'm not so sure that I'm ready to move into reduced hours. So, we shall see how it goes for a while, and I just might find myself at the Station far more than I'd anticipated this winter.

Here's part of a convoy of large rigs that visited us early this morning. There were actually 4 RVs in the fleet, but because of their length, my non-telephoto lens could only snap two at a time. The folks within were all friends from Vancouver, British Columbia and are doing a Route 66 tour slowly with many side trips and stops. Fun people!

Another Canadian couple, this time from Calgary, Alberta also visited later in the day. They were followed by folks from Waubeka WI, Ottawa Lake MI, Sylvania OH, and Tucumcari, NM. They were all on dedicated Route 66 trips.

With me today to meet and greet guests were Ron M., Tattoo Man, and Betty W., while Marly, Robin, and Phil were working hard on the new showroom out back. Here they are!

No comments: