Sunday, February 14, 2010

Snow, sun, and a horse

I almost turned around and headed back home at 7:30 this morning. I'd picked up Ron M. and was heading for Afton when the snow started coming down in near-blizzard quantities. I freaked out a little, but Ron convinced me to keep going, and after a few minutes the snow had stopped. It was pretty weird. By the time we'd driven the 80 miles from Tulsa to Afton, even the memory of snow had faded. It remained very cold all day, though.

The best way to combat a frigid atmosphere is to do some work, so we set about to clean out my "junk" cabinet, a bigger job than it may seem. I have this great antique cabinet that was a catch-all for anything that came into the Station that had no immediate use. But I was sorely in need of a place to put my stock inventory, so while I organized things Ron did the heavy lifting, and we threw away or stored tons of stuff. I should have taken a "before" photo but didn't. Here's the "after". Now I can see what I have, what I need to order, etc.
We weren't heavy on the visitors today, but we did have a very pleasant family of four stop in. A husband and wife from Grove, Oklahoma were with their two daughters, one who had flown in from Boulder, Colorado and one who had flown in from Asbury, New Jersey, to help their parents make a move. They were taking a little break today for a short Route 66 trip.

There was an odd passer-by today, and I managed to snap a quick photo of him/her. Someone, so bundled up against the cold that it was impossible to tell if it was man or woman, trotted past on a horse, heavily-laden with full saddlebags, thus indicating a long trip and not just an afternoon jaunt. I wish we'd been able to catch the pair before they got away so we could find out where they had come from and where they were going. I recently recall a woman who had announced an upcoming cross-Route 66 trip on horseback, but I believe that's happening this summer. So the mystery remains.

Finally, another good idea from Ron. . . I'm frequently asked about "the funny thing" on the steering wheel of one of the Packards, so recently I asked David for the correct answer -- the throttle. However, I keep forgetting it despite being asked at least once a week. Today, Ron suggested (tongue in cheek) this remedy for my poor memory, learned recently from the behavior of a certain quasi-political entity who got a lot of publicity for her use of the memory method. I've heard it called the Wasilla Teleprompter. It works for me (although she DOESN'T!) :-)

7 comments:

Ken Riches said...

Glad you found a way to remember, even if inspired by a retard :o)

Betty Baumann said...

oh, I so want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blogs. You are always on top of the current events, no matter where they happen. I do not know how I got through the day before I knew "that Laurel writes a blog"...

Laurel said...

Aw, that's really sweet, Betty! I hope to keep writing for a long time. . . or until I run out of things to say!

Ron McCoy said...

You BETCHA!

Trevor Hilton said...

Glad to see you finally admit that the Republican party did something to help you.
Next thing you know, you'll start listening to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham. :)

Laurel said...

Trevor -- At least she can do SOMETHING right! :-)

Beth said...

LOL Love your new Palm Pilot!