Thursday, February 18, 2010

The British are Coming!

I don't even like to tell you about a beautiful warm, sunny day at Afton Station (the first one this season) when Ron M. and I sat there all day WITHOUT A SINGLE VISITOR! I don't believe that's ever happened before. However, I found this on a British travel site shortly after I got home, so it cheered me up and gave me hope that travelers will start pouring in the door soon.

Route 66 is a 'favourite' among Brits
17/02/2010
Brits taking a holiday in the US continue to choose to travel along Route 66, according to the United States Travel Association (USTA).Stella Clery-Ackland, UK representative for the USTA and DiscoverAmerica.com, said many holidaymakers are taking advantage of numerous fly-drive packages and coach tours dedicated to the route, adding the people can rent a Harley motorbike or an open-topped Cadillac to travel along the road."Some visitors will take in Illinois, Missouri and Oklahoma, which will give them a taste of the history and pop culture of this famous road," she noted.

So, what did we do today? Well, Ron mopped the floor, I cleaned windowsills and the bathroom, and we talked and read and I did some writing. I took a picture of the old popcorn machine, which I plan to put on Craig's List now that we have a new, smaller one. Since it's the only photo I have for today, here it is. Anybody want this old movie theater machine? I'm willing to deal, but you must pick it up.

1 comment:

Trevor Hilton said...

Strange that so many foreigners are fascinated by it, but so few Americans are.
We just don't seem to appreciate what's right in our own back yard.