Sunday, November 4, 2012

Happy Birthday, Will Rogers!

Will Rogers would have been 133 years old today, so what better way to start the day than by visiting his home town of Claremore, OK.   That's what Ron M. and I did on the way to Afton this morning, and look who we found relaxing on a bench and reading the Sunday paper!  Will himself!  Actually, we always visit Claremore on the way to Afton, since we pass through it on every trip.  Ironically, we prefer it to the Will Rogers Turnpike, which is the alternate way to get from Tulsa to Afton.    But today we got off Route 66 briefly to cruise Will Rogers Blvd., which is the main street of Claremore and crosses Route 66.   We found Will in the 300 block, sitting memorialized in bronze and reading the Claremore Progress.  "All I know is what I read in the paper", he once said.   And he knew a lot!

Meanwhile, we had a good day at the Station today, beginning with a happy couple from Plymouth, MN who are enjoying their Route 66 journey.   Later, Georgia Taylor and her husband Robert stopped in.  I was so glad to meet this vivacious and friendly lady who holds down the fort at the Baxter Springs (KS) Route 66 Visitors' Center.  They're fine people, and I have no doubt that she's a wonderful ambassador for the Kansas stretch of the Mother Road.  I had never met her before, but I certainly hope we'll meet again many times in the future. 
 As the day wore on, we received visits from folks from Tulsa OK and Ventura CA.   We also enjoyed meeting this couple from Bloomington, Indiana.  Since my daughter used to live in Bloomington and I've visited there many times, we had a lot to talk about.  They are also quite interested in antique cars, and are embarking on a full out Route 66 trip.
 Besides Ron M., we had help from Tattoo Man today, and Betty and Phil also dropped in.  Betty brought with her the most divine pumpkin bread I've ever tasted!  I wonder if she'll give up the recipe????

No comments: