Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sapulpa

Merry Day-After-Christmas! I had a wonderful Christmas, but now have begun my "Post-Christmas Ants-in-the-Pants Can't-Bear-to-Stay-at-Home Jumpety Jitters". You'd think I could take a couple of days off the road and enjoy my very nice home, but that's not how I roll. And since there's virtually nowhere left to go within a half day's drive that I haven't been to a thousand times before, this morning I just got in the car and pointed it down Route 66. I probably should have just gone to Afton and opened up for the day, but I still want to feel like I'm on vacation.

I ended up in Sapulpa. It's the nice little Route 66 town west of Tulsa that had the great Christmas parade last year. Missed the parade this year, but it's still a good Christmas town. There are a few things in Sapulpa I haven't highlighted in previous posts, so I stopped to take some photos.
This is Humpty Pharmacy. No offense to the owners, but I every time I drive past it I can't help but recite:

Humpty Pharmacy sat on a wall,
Humpty Pharmacy had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty Pharmacy together again.

Sorry.
I also love this big glass plant that sits directly (and I do mean directly) on Route 66. It's so close to the road that once and a while a train stopped at their loading dock actually briefly blocks Route 66.
Entering Sapulpa on old 66, one passes this concrete paean to the glass and pottery manufacturing facilities in Sapulpa. Unfortunately, the iconic Frankoma Pottery Co. has closed due to ownership changes. We're all hoping it reopens soon. More about Frankoma here: Frankoma Pottery CollectingBuzz.com

The sun just came out, so I'm heading out again, I think. Where shall I go next?

2 comments:

Trevor Hilton said...

I've wondered what that factory is.

Have you ever been to the Spiro Indian Mounds yet? Or the Heavener Rune Stones? Or driven over the Talimena Drive?
Those places are withing a couple hours drive of you.

Laurel said...

I've never been to the Spiro Indian Mounds, but this summer I went to the Heavener Rune Stone and drove over the Talimena Drive for the 2nd time. The first time was several years ago and it was impossible pea soup fog. I wrote about this summer's visit at my June 26, 2010 posting here.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Trevor.