Friday, May 25, 2012

Love Letter


Taylor Hanson of the rock band Hanson is, along with his brothers, a native of Tulsa.  He wrote this love letter to Tulsa which was published on the Huffington Post today.  Although I'm not a lifelong resident of Tulsa, so much of what he says about my adopted city resonates with me.  Because Tulsa is humble, many people have no idea what a truly wonderful town this is!   Here are some excerpts. . .

Dear Tulsa,   


As I sit perched upon a soft rolling hill of green, I am reminded of the patchwork of memories that we have made together. I have seen many mountains and oceans, but your rugged land holds my heart.  In my early years, we shared some of my best memories on long summer days. . . .


Though our age difference is vast, I have never cared what others say about our romance. I am the dust and, though the gusty winds carry me far and wide, I still find warmth and friendship against your open sky. We are not followers neither of us, and I think that is one reason why we have always been a good pair, no matter our differences . . . .


When I look at you I am enthralled and reminded of our lifelong chemistry. You have never been vain, but you have many things to boast about. You could take credit for the westward expansion of America at the turn of the 20th century, but you never ado. You could claim accolades for the array of creative artists and thinkers who have their roots on your ground: Leon Russell, Roy Clark, Garth Brooks, J.J. Cale, Woody Guthrie, Will Rogers, The Gap Band, Dwight Twilley... and Hanson. But you are too humble to bring attention to yourself. Many of your streets are lined with the iconic architecture of Wright, Goff and Pelli.


The Mother Road is one of your closest friends, but you don't name drop.


I love your humble nature -- you taught me a lot-- and I am still learning. As I have gone out into the world year after year to spread my music, which was birthed and cultivated with you at my side. I know that I still bring a bit of our deep connection with me. You are the patchwork of contradictions I hope I would be if I ever can claim a birthday beyond 100 years. A rabble-rouser and a gentleman, a cowboy and a businessman, an artist and a pragmatist.


I guess I have said a lot of things in this little note to you, my oldest friend and one of my first loves, but the simple message is this: I would not want to take a trip into any chapter of life without you in the story. 


Yours,
Taylor


You can read the whole letter at:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/love-letters/taylor-hanson-loves-tulsa_b_1538885.html.   The comments that follow the letter are worth reading, too.  It's so easy to love Tulsa!



1 comment:

Susan Yates said...

I know this was submitted as part of a project on the Huffington Post, but it sure fits right in with Michael Wallis' Sense of Place project that started with the publication of his Town Hall speech titled OKLAHOMA A Sense of Place. It's a brilliant monograph, that inspires the reader (whether or not from Oklahoma) to ponder what place makes them feel connected and at home.