Saturday, June 28, 2014

Back to Work, and Play

When I refer to Afton Station as work, please correct me and remind me that I have more fun there than anywhere else on earth.  Today, after over a month's absence, I was back behind the counter greeting visitors and enjoying every minute of it.  It was a busy day and I'm kind of tired tonight, so I'll try to make this as short as I can, considering that do tend to run on when I'm writing about Route 66 and the Station.

We had a group visit from the women of Markartplace in Catoosa, OK.  I've told you about these talented and crafty  ladies before, and today my friend LaSandra Nickson, who is the member of the cooperative herself, brought 8 of the gals to the Station.   Here they are in a group photo with me.
 Betty arrived and was a big help when needed.  She's very good at crowd control. She also brought a huge strawberry cake, a hot-out-of-the-oven rhubarb pie, and a large bouquet of lovely orange roses for me.  She is just the best baker ever, her goodies always from scratch and delicious.  Robin, Tattoo Man, and of course Ron M. were all there today and we wolfed down those goodies in about two minutes.  We actually had enough cake left to give some to our guests.
There were 20 other visitors today, too.  The guest of honor was Joe Paul, the tech who takes such good care of me at dialysis.  He's visited before, and he stayed all afternoon today.  Like Betty, he's always willing to step in and help with the customers, too.  Other visitors were from Raleigh NC, Miami OK, Guatemala, Carthage MO, Overland Park KS, Wichita Falls TX, Big Rapids MI, Rockford MI, Anderson IN, and Rogers AR.
The gentleman on the right, from Big Rapids, MI happens to know a dear friend of mine who also used to live in Big Rapids.  Quite a coincidence!   He's an old pro at Route 66 travel, and on this particular trip he was accompanied by one son on the first leg and then a second son in the return trip!
 I'm running out of steam, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.  I know I've missed something, but it can wait until tomorrow.  I'll be back in Afton then, ready for more action.

P.S.  I'm getting around with a walker now, and I'd forgotten since the last time I needed to use one, how hard it is to do small everyday things while using it (like hefting it in and out of the car, unlocking my back door, which is one step up from the welcome mat,  carrying things while still needing both  hands to manipulate the walker, tasks I've always just taken for granted.  I'm doing fine, though.)


Susan Yates said...

Welcome Home, Laurel--in Tulsa and in Afton. Sounds like the perfect first day back. Take care and carry on having fun.

Laurel said...

Thank you, Susan. It was a great day at Afton Station and I was so glad to be there. Those who minded the store while I was gone did a great job and everything was in good order (in fact, probably better than I would have left it myself!)

DennyG said...

Welcome back. Enjoy yourself but do take it easy.