Saturday, November 22, 2014

He's Baaaaaack!

It wasn't a particularly exciting day at Afton Station today, except that we were delighted to have our friend and frequent Station visitor Michael Scruggs and his wife Noel come through the door this morning.  Michael has been in the hospital for -- would you believe -- over 120 days, fighting a rare form of leukemia.  For most of that time he was in isolation.  He's out now and only has to go back every week or so, and it was nice to have him back and looking so fit and happy.  You might remember Michael from his excellent photos.  He's a  fine photographer and we had a small showing of his work this spring.

Ron M., Betty, and I did more waiting around that greeting visitors today, but that was to be expected.  It was another very dark and gloomy day, with the constant threat of rain keeping people off the road.  We did, however, greet a couple from Columbus, Kansas.  He's visited before but was bringing his wife to show her around.  They bought quite a pile of merchandise before they left.

Our only other visitors were two couples from Brisbane, Australia.   When I remarked that they were traveling in less than good weather, they let me know that in their native country right now it's ridiculously, uncomfortably hot and they are very glad to be here staying cool.

I used to live in Buffalo, NY.  I can't even fathom the 7 feet of snow they have on the ground right now.  If any of my readers are from western New York, know that you have my sympathy for your plight.  I hope you are all getting dug out, and that the melting that is about to start won't wash you away.

The next time I'll be at Afton Station will be next Saturday.  Sue will keep the place open tomorrow and Tuesday.   On Monday, Ron M. and I have been invited to tour the Eastern Trails Museum in Vinita.  We are looking forward to seeing the place, especially since we want to be able to recommend it as a "must see" for visitors from afar and I like to know what I'm talking about before making recommendations.  I'll report on our visit later in the week.

No comments: