Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Jim Maloney

Robin called from Afton Station this afternoon and sent along this picture of a visitor she thought I might like to hear about.  Cincinnati Reds fans may remember Jim Maloney, a pitcher for the Reds in the 1960s.  Known for his blazing fast ball, he pitched two no-hitters in his career.    Baseball fans might find this visit interesting. Here he is with his wife Lyn, putting his autograph on our very full door.  
Robin tells me she had another very good day today.  I can't wait to get back to Afton tomorrow!

4 comments:

DennyG said...

I definitely remember Maloney though when I saw the name in the title I figured it was another Jim Maloney. He's looking pretty good.

Laurel said...

I had a feeling you'd be the first to respond to this, Denny. But I must know -- who's the other Jim Maloney?

DennyG said...

There may not be one. I just wasn't expecting a post from Oklahoma to be about OUR Jim Maloney. On the other hand, I assume that Oklahomans talk about OUR Johnny Bench all the time.

Laurel said...

Actually, during the years that Maloney was pitching, I happened to be a Reds fan. I was living in Lexington, KY and my then-fiancee was a huge Reds fan so we'd drive up for games all the time. So, I remember Maloney a little. Later, I shed the Reds fan thing when I shed the fiancee, but despite all that, I certainly remember Johnny Bench. Doesn't everyone?? He came along just a year or two after I stopped avidly following the Reds, but he certainly made his mark in the baseball world!