Monday, November 19, 2012

Bits and Pieces

Just a little of this and that today. . .

I was getting tired of people criticizing Mrs. Petraeus's hairdo and calling it "old fashioned", especially after I figured out that I have the very same hairdo!   So, this morning I changed my "do".    I just got back from the hairdresser, and now I look like an old, fat lady trying not to look like Mrs. Petraeus.  Oh well, I tried!
_______________
My friend Gordon Radford (aka Gordo, who is a professional photographer) has updated and completely redone his website, and now if you go there you can view and/or purchase the beautiful photos he's taken, many of them on Route 66.  I've always loved his work because of his use of enhanced colors and particularly dramatic sky and cloud formations.  Please take a look at:  www.gordonradfordphotography.com.  Gordo is now offering prints in various sizes as well as greeting cards and mugs carrying his images, and has set up a 25% discount at checkout if you provide the code word LAUREL.  This discount is good until December 24, so consider Christmas giving when you visit the site.
_______________
I hope everyone was able to watch Part 1 of  THE DUST BOWL last night (on PBS).   It was excellent, as are all works by Ken Burns.  Most of us who call ourselves Route 66 fanatics are familiar with that period of history and the Mother Road's impact on the time, and this documentary enhances and expands our understanding of what Burns describes as a "decade long national man-made environmental catastrophe"  through use of both images and first person interviews.  Have a box of Kleenex handy for the second half of Part 1.   Part 2 will be shown tonight (Monday), so tune in for the conclusion.
_______________
George Higgins has asked me to remind you that it's time to plan next summer's motorcycle tour of Route 66, and to consider joining his Mother Road Ride Rally which will occur from June 8-16, 2013.  Read about it at the Rally's website at:  www.rideRT66.com.



2 comments:

Beth said...

I didn't watch last night, but will make sure I get it when it comes out on DVD, or watch when it is shown on PBS's website. I did see Ken Burns on The Colbert Report last week, and it was really interesting. After reading The Grapes of Wrath, I got a book about the Dust Bowl to learn more about it. Just mind-boggling and heartbreaking.

Anonymous said...

http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_modules/add_item.asp?ProductCode=BR-BK-185

check out the new diecast 54 Patrician!!