Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Musings



Happy Labor Day to all! Life itself is a labor of love. Preservation is a labor of love. Promoting Route 66 is a labor of love. A special thanks to all who love to labor.
I'm not in Afton today, but I have a few things to show you. First, here's an image of the blotter advertising Tumlin's Trading Post in Afton that was given to me by a friend recently. I'm not having much luck finding anyone in Afton who remembers the establishment. If anyone has a clue, let me know.


My scanner has decided to start working again (apparently it thought yesterday was Labor Day and took the day off), so here's a better image of the same photo I posted yesterday. The gentleman is Wilton Cunningham and the photo was taken shortly after WW I. That's about all I know about it, but I'm thrilled that the streets are still dirt and that a ferris wheel is being erected (or dismantled) right on Main Street!

Now, here are four really great short time-lapse videos taken by Brad Nickson at Saturday's Afton Clean Up Day with his brand new time-lapse camera. What fun! Wish I had one of those cameras myself! http://tinyurl.com/AftonCleanUpTimeLapse They're each only about a half minute long. I particularly like the one taken by setting the camera on that discarded 8-burner commercial stove that's sitting across the street from Afton Station. We couldn't haul the stove away on Clean Up Day because ownership (if any) is uncertain, and we didn't want to step on any citizen's toes. On Saturday, it made a fine tripod.

5 comments:

Mike said...

No guesses yet about the trading post? I'm surprised someone in Afton wouldn't remember it.

Laurel said...

So far nothing, Mike. I admit that I forgot to ask an old timer (86 years old) who was born in Afton and who visited me today. Darn! I'll ask him the next time he comes in. He knows everything!

Mike said...

You think posting the picture on the Afton Facebook group might help? One lady has posted a lot of old pictures on the group.

Laurel said...

I thought I did, but maybe I didn't. I've been having trouble posting pictures to Facebook lately. I'll try again.

Laurel said...

Well, I just looked and I did post it on the Afton OK Group. However, so far no comments or attempts to identify it.