Sunday, June 29, 2014

Happiness is . . .

. . .sitting at the computer, fresh-from-the-farm ear of corn in one hand, deciding what to say on my blog about the wonderful visitors we had today without running over at the mouth or using too many superlatives.  I guess I'll just munch on this heavenly ear of corn and plunge right in.

Today there were 34 visitors smart enough to make the pilgrimage to Afton Station.  Some were taking long Route 66 trips and some were just taking in a bit of the Mother Road for the weekend.  They came from Memphis TN, Edgewater WI, Middleburg FL, Columbia MO, Checotah OK, Lakeville MN, Hartford SD, Alexandria VA, Lexington KY, Paris France, Dallas TX, Springfield MO, Sacramento CA, Anaheim CA, and Afton, OK    Quite a varied group from all over the USA, with a couple from France to add to the  international flavor of Route 66.

When Ron M. and I arrived at the Station, a car was just leaving.  We gestured to them to please not leave because it might take us a few minutes to open up all the rooms, but they should come in anyway.  I'm so glad we did that.  It was a great couple I've met before, from Memphis, TN and real veterans of the road.  He kept telling me that he's been waiting to meet me after I wasn't around for the last couple of his visits to the Station.  He also said something like I was the  highlight of his trip, but I think he was just trying to make me blush.  Here they are, practically newlyweds after a two year marriage.
This mother, father and son are visiting Route 66 from just outside of Paris, France.  
This family from Checotah, OK was mesmerized by the pressed penny machine.
Toward the end of the day, these two lovely '55 Thunderbirds pulled in right in front of the Station.  They were two friends, one from Sacramento, CA and the other from Anaheim, CA who are traveling together to the International Tbird Convention coming up in Springfield, MO.  The cars were painted in warm and eye-catching colors -- mint green and coral -- and they looked beautiful in front of the Station.    Coincidentally, a couple from Springfield was also visiting at the same time, and they have a white '55 Tbird!  Copious Thunderbird chat ensued as would be expected.

Betty came by and showed us the neat airbrushing she just had done on her brand new Jeep Latitude.  I like the shield so much that I'm seriously considering getting one on my Subaru.  The airbrush artist did a nice job on Betty's name as well.

 I wish I had photos and write-ups on each and every traveler who visited us today, but there just wasn't time.  Needless to say, they were all interesting people... because aren't ALL Route 66 fans interesting and special?







No comments: