Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Sun Also Rises


This morning, I intentionally left the house at 5 a.m. so that I could take my time getting to Afton and thus have a spare hour or more to have a leisurely breakfast at Clanton's and then do a little off-roading.  I don't mean the mud-and-pothole type of off-roading, but off-roading meaning Off-Route 66.  It's been a while since I've had a chance to explore some back roads.  The sunrise was spectacular, the poached eggs with gravy at Clanton's were mouth-watering good, and I found a great little piece of road outside of Vinita that was crying out for exploration.
I know nothing about this little old school building or the "SUPERIOR MODEL" designation, but I plan to do some research and I'll get back to you.
Someone on this little road has a pretty nice collection of longhorn skulls.  

Yesterday Robin had scads of visitors at Afton Station and they came from many countries and states.  Today started out slowly but finally traffic built up a bit.  These fellows from Grove, OK who were returning from business in Tulsa stopped by early and filled my morning with laughter.  They definitely know how to have fun.  Never a dull moment!
The "grandma" in this photo is celebrating her 93rd birthday today!  Her family came from West Chester, Ohio and Brea, California to help with the celebration.  How sweet that they brought her to Afton Station to see the old Packards.

Other visitors came from Columbus OH, Boonville MO, Longview TX, Lubbock TX, and Afton.   The fellows from Boonville, MO are tearing down Afton's old feed mill, which I know is making townies sad.  Fortunately, they're not tearing down the big storage silos, which are Afton's only "skyscraper".  



No comments: