Monday, March 12, 2012

Is Blue Selling Cookies on Route 66?

I had no idea that the Blue Whale of Catoosa was a Girl Scout (or even a girl, for that matter) until we drove past her yesterday on the way home from Afton and noticed that she was wearing a Girl Scout badge sash with an abundance of badges which she must have earned somehow, although I suspect most of them centered around water sports. 
Today, March 12, 2012 is the 100th Anniversary of the Girl Scouts, and I'm excited about it.  I was a Brownie, a Girl Scout, a Senior Girl Scout, a leader of a troop, a neighborhood Girl Scout chairman, a cookie chairman, and for a few years top cookie seller in the neighborhood.  I was also made a Lifetime Girl Scout several years ago after leading Sarah's troop for a few years.  It's through the Girl Scouts that I learned to camp, hike, ride a horse, swim, and make puppets, among other things.  It's a great organization, and if you add up all of the above, I've been a Girl Scout for 60 years!

I'm so pleased that Blue is a fellow Scout!  

2 comments:

Mick said...

My sister is a scout, and I am an Eagle Scout. Now is Blue just for looks? if I recall correctly People cant swim in the pond anymore? set me straight!

Laurel said...

You can't swim in the pond any more, but Blue is still one of the most popular things to visit on Route 66. You can go inside of him, but just not in the water. It's a fun stop!