Monday, October 12, 2009

Stream-of-Consciousness

I just read over the last few days of blog posts. I sound so negative, and I don't mean to be. I don't feel negative. I feel mellow and a bit nostalgic, and I guess that can be mistaken for negativity, even by the person who's feeling it. I get this way in October. I think it has something to do with the quality of light. The evening sky looks pumpkin orange just about every night. The soybean fields are tinted orange now too, and the other fields are mostly brown. Even here in Oklahoma, the trees are beginning to take on a yellow hue that will soon completely overwhelm the green. It's actually rather beautiful, but the beauty carries with it a twinge of sadness. For a change, I don't want to be anywhere that's quiet. I need a whole cacaphony of life-affirming sounds around me at all times. I start counting the days until we turn back the clocks, because that means a little more light in the mornings, my favorite time of day, although the tradeoff is nightfall at 5 p.m., which is just TOO early.

These are the days of comfort food. I'm making meatloaf and mashed potatoes tonight. Sounds good, doesn't it? So does chicken stew, chili, and just about any kind of soup.

I talked to David, who told me why the heat wasn't working at Afton Station over the weekend and said he'd get it fixed right away. Apparently they had to move the gas meter and need to get it re-hooked up. In the meantime, there's a space heater we can use if it doesn't get fixed by tomorrow morning. I wish we never needed heat there.

Sorry for this stream-of-consciousness posting. Can you tell I don't really have anything to report? My brain is feeling very lazy today. After all, it's a holiday, although I don't see any signs of Columbus Day being celebrated here in Oklahoma. Enjoy the day anyway.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I didn't think you sounded negative, Laurel. It's just a winding down of warm weather and greenery that I think gets to all of us a little bit. Like you said, even if you don't feel negative or down, you still get that sort of forlorn, wistful feeling. I do, anyway, because I love summer! Hang in there...we'll all get through the winter together, and spring will be here before we know it! (I'm trying to convince myself as much as I am you. LOL) Hugs, Beth

Trevor Hilton said...

I'm feeling the change in the air, too. I like Autumn. I don't care much for Winter. But, on crisp, Autumn mornings I feel like grabbing a rifle and heading for the woods. Yes, I'm a hunter. I don't much care if I shoot anything, I like getting out in the woods with my son.

~Kathryn~ said...

Laurel - your dedication to driving to and from the station so many times a week is amazing. You can't be there for everyone all the time so don't beat up on yourself .... we missed places being open on our trip (many times as you know) but it didn't spoil our trip... and I'm sure other travellers will feel the same - especially as it is the 'off' season

Anonymous said...

I want to come over for dinner, LOL
hugs,
Lulu