Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Grab Bag

Since this wasn't an Afton Station day, I've decided to post a few "second string" photos, those that didn't quite make the cut in the past week or two. But first.... I drove down to check out the progress on the El Rancho Grande sign this afternoon, and the guys were there installing the neon. You can see (maybe) the "El" in yellow neon that had just been applied. Looking good! I'll be going there for dinner on Friday night with Ron, Brad, and LaSandra.

Then I drove over to Sapulpa to take a picture for a friend who is thinking of eating at this place when he takes his Route 66 trip in September. (Cort, I hope you're reading this because for some reason I'm not able to attach it to an email.) It's the Sunrise Grill. I know absolutely nothing about it, but it looks like it might be fun to have breakfast there some day.


Ok, now for some saved photos from the last few weeks.....

This is the Summerside Winery in Vinita, just 15 miles from Afton. It's a truly great little winery that has tastings and serves lunch on weekends.

If you must tear down a really great vintage sign and replace it with plastic, it might as well be colorful and eye-catching. The Okie-Inn is in Claremore.
Here's the Moose Lodge (or what's left of it) in White Oak.

This is the remains of another filling station in Afton. Prior to being encased in metal, the office portion was quite unique, since it came to a point in the front. Of course, you can't see that now. Oh well....
I guess that's all for today.

5 comments:

Beth said...

The sign is looking good! Wow, they named the motel the Okie-Inn? I seem to recall that Okie and Arkie were very derogatory terms in the dustbowl era. Have they lost that and become more accepted now?

Anonymous said...

The Sunrise Grill is good, and the owner has been very supportive of the Oklahoma Route 66 Association. I always forget it's out there because the location is a bit out of the way (if I'm on New Sapulpa Road, I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere), but they have good burgers. I should try to get up early enough for breakfast one of these mornings....

Ron McCoy said...

Beth, the term "okie" is no longer considered an insult and current Oklahomans now pretty much apply the label as a badge of honor and symbol of the Okie survivor attitude. Will Rogers, an Oklahoma immigrant to California himself, once remarked jokingly that the Okies arriving in California increased the average intelligence of both states. Have you heard the Oklahoma Centennial song ("Oklahoma Rising") by Jimmy Webb and Vince Gill? In the lyrics they state "....I'm an Okie and I'm proud.....".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqRX1BEZvxU

Laurel said...

Ron, thanks for further explaining the acceptance of the word "Okie". I had just told Beth in a private email that it was now an appropriate moniker, but without any details.

Emily, thanks for the info about the Sunrise Grill. Coincidentally, there was a feature article about it in the World this morning!

Anonymous said...

The grill is still running under new owners. The food is good and the owners wonderful people. They also have deep fried ribs.