Saturday, March 28, 2009

We got about a third of the way to Afton when.....

... we turned back! It started out as rain, but not a heavy downpour. Within minutes, it turned to "slush balls" which made great huge "splats" on the windshield. And then, the snow! All of this in the course of about 20 minutes. Hey, you Weather Gurus..... you told us it wouldn't start until about noon, and that it would be moderate. Wrong! I'm not blaming you, WGs, I'm just saying... I know it's unprecidented for this area, because that's what you're telling us now. No matter. I hate snow, so I'm choosing this day to be grumpy. Afton Station is closed, and if this doesn't stop soon, it might be closed tomorrow as well. Driving home from Claremore, when we decided to turn around, was not fun. My car isn't great in the slippery stuff. The ABS brakes are just fine, but forward momentum after a stop is always dicey. Creeping along works the best in this case. We (and when I say "we", I'm referring to myself and Ron M., who was with me) saw one car spin completely out and another SUV in a ditch. Visibility was basically zero, too.

I guess the snow was worse in Western Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle, and of course my heart goes out to the folks in the Upper Midwest who are experiencing devastating flooding that makes this little snowstorm seem like a walk in the park, but this is Tulsa OK, and snow is a rarity. Coming from New England, I'm a pretty good driver in this stuff, but that's not true of everyone around here. Not by a long shot.

We got to Catoosa before the precipitation started and managed to snap this picture of the mural on the side of the Correll Museum. If you will recall, I blogged about the charming little auto/rock/bottle museum I visited a couple of weeks ago. Here's the recently-painted mural. I really love it because it converted an easily-overlooked tourist stop into a place that really stands out.
It's now about 11:30 a.m., and it's still coming down very hard. Here are some pictures I took when I first got home about 45 minutes ago. Note that they're taken from my covered front porch. No way I'm going out again in this stuff!

Note my neighbor's weeping cherry, in bloom, with the snow

4 comments:

Trevor Hilton said...

What ever happened to "Global Warming"? I remember having blizzards in March when I was a boy. Now, we're having them again.

It isn't that bad here in Oklahoma City. The streets are wet, but not icy.

Beth said...

Ugh, that looks awful. I don't blame you for being grumpy! I bet you can find some fun stuff to keep you occupied, though. :)

Mustangs are notoriously bad in snow, although my '05 is a lot better than my previous ones. Years ago, my Dad gave me a tip about starting from a dead stop, and that's to put it into first until you can get going. That helped me so much! You probably know that already, but just in case, you can file it away in your memory banks.

Hugs, Beth

Ken Riches said...

We have bad weather coming tomorrow, hopefully it will warm up enough to avoid the frozen stuff.

Anonymous said...

Trevor, the term "global warming" is a misnomer. The more accurate term for this phenomenon is "climate change": As the overall temperature of the planet goes up, the summer gets hotter, the winter gets colder, and everything in between gets weirder -- day-to-day temperatures fluctuate wildly, storms become more violent, and you get more oddities like thundersnow (which we had this morning in Tulsa) and freezing fog (which we are supposed to have tonight). I'm not sure who came up with it, but I've heard the phrase "global weirding" tossed around as a more apt description of what's going on.

I don't know what it did in Edmond this morning, but in Tulsa, the temperature was 36 degrees when a torrential downpour suddenly turned into a blizzard, accompanied by the thunder and lightning you'd expect to get with a spring thundershower. It didn't make any sense at all -- the temperature was above freezing, yet the snow was falling faster than it could melt. We wound up with about six inches on the ground. Crazy.