Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Glow in the dark

Since I'm never in Afton before sunrise or after sunset, I have never seen my own gas pumps at night, so I was thrilled to see a photo taken by my friend Jennifer Bremer from Indianapolis when she and husband Pat passed the Station late at night on a short Route 66 trip they took last weekend. She's a great photographer and keeps getting better. To see more of her work, check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtripmemories/.

The weather outside is frightful, but inside it's delightful..... That song is pretty perfect for today. There's no snow (yet), but it's cold, windy, and drizzly... unfit for man or beast. I just got home from a day of running errands, followed by a meeting at a friend's house on the far other side of town, so being indoors -- and knowing I don't have to go out again tonight -- is indeed delightful! And yes, I'm very glad I didn't drive up to Afton today. I've managed to get most of my Christmas shopping done, so now all I have to do is wait for the stuff I ordered online to arrive, wrap it all, and pack up some of it for mailing. I've decided not to go to Chicago for Christmas this year because it didn't work out well with either my daughter's schedule or mine, so instead we'll be taking a long weekend together in January, when we're both more free to spend some quality time. Now I'm thinking of having a Christmas party here at home, so I have to get in gear mentally for that. Since I'm divorced, with only one living relative (my daughter), it could be possible for me to be very depressed at Christmas time, but thanks to good friends, that hasn't happened yet. The Christmases of my childhood, as well as those of my married years and motherhood years, were always so warm and festive and special. I'm determined to keep that going, and so far I'm doing ok.



3 comments:

Beth said...

I love the picture! Is that Fred or Ethyl?

I'm glad you have so many good friends in the area, Laurel, and it sounds like a Christmas party might be just what the doctor ordered! I hope you know that you've got a couple of friends at Nutwood, too. :)

Hugs, Beth

Trevor Hilton said...

A Blessed Christmas to you, Laurel. You are ALWAYS welcome at my place in Edmond. You should come down. We can go see Bricktown during December.

Anonymous said...

Are there any sushi restaurants open on Christmas Day? I ask 'cos Ron is working and I'm planning to spend the day curled up in the Fortress of Solitude with two English textbooks and the Oklahoma PASS objectives. It wouldn't take much to convince me to ditch my festive holiday curriculum-writing spree for a plate of tuna sashimi....