Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Relaxing day, mostly

At last, a relatively calm day at Afton Station. Despite the fact that there were folks waiting for me when I arrived at 8:30, and that we had a respectable 15 visitors altogether, we (meaning Tattoo Man, Marly, and myself) had time between visitors to observe the goings-on in town. "What?", you're saying, "Something actually happened in Afton?" Yes, really -- although I don't exactly know what we were watching.

The lady who owns the old Palmer Hotel building started emptying out one of her numerous storefronts where she stores "stuff" and, with the help of a couple of friends, put it all out on the sidewalk. For several reasons, I did not choose to go over there and ask, but Tuesday seems like a strange day to begin a garage sale, and since it's supposed to rain tomorrow I doubt she'll want to keep it all out there overnight. It's a mystery, but it was also something to watch all day. That, and watching the guys picking through the rubble of the other demolished building all day, was enough to keep us interested. It's so seldom that anything happens around here.
Our guests were almost all Route 66 vacationers traveling the whole Route. They came from Prinsenbeek, Netherlands, Apple Valley CA, Gresham OR, Sacramento CA, Tulsa OK, and Grove OK. Two interesting couples from Germany took us back to the '50s in their dress and attitude. I haven't seen sideburns this big since I was in high school! They definitely had the look just right, with wallets on heavy chains, rings on every finger, and motorcycle boots. Lenny and Squiggy with German accents! The ladies were more conventionally dressed. They were all heading for California on their first visit to the U.S.

One of the German guys had a really well executed tattoo of Johnny Cash!


I got home at a normal time this evening and plan to check out some TV tonight. On Thursday, I'll be back in Afton but may not have time to blog, as I will be staying up there to go out to dinner after the Station closes.

1 comment:

Trevor Hilton said...

After he finishes his trip, that man with the Johnny Cash tattoo will REALLY be able to sing, "I've been everywhere."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmFN9C9PVpg