Friday, July 23, 2010

Notes about this and that

Betty W. has found more information about the Acme Courts I mentioned on yesterday's post. The motel was built in 1936 by a mail carrier, Sullivan Johnson, and his wife Ureatha. (Their two sons were doctors who built the hospital that was once in Afton.) In 1959, the Acme was still listed as a motel in the phone book.


Above is my other postcard of the Acme. It indicates that it has a playground, reasonable rates, carpeted floors, and 14 refrigerated units. It's slogan is "You Must Be Satisfied". There was also a Conoco gas station attached.

_______________________



Ramblings. . .


I can't help but imagine myself in the shoes of Route 66 travelers from non-English speaking countries. I don't particularly care how many iconic sights they see as they wander across America; I do care about how they are treated, both by me and by others they meet along the way. By the time east-to-west travelers reach Afton, Oklahoma I recognize that I have a lot to live up to. They've undoubtedly already met Ramona at the Munger Moss (the epitome of hospitality), the 4 Women on the Route (fun gals, a happy place, and great food), Gary Turner at Paris Springs (arguably the best ambassador of the Mother Road that we have), Connie at the Wagon Wheel with her spectacular restoration work, Dean Walker in Kansas, who will do anything for travelers (including turning his feet backwards!), Dave Clark with his information-packed tour of Chicago Route 66, and that's just the tip of a very large iceberg. There are so many more!


So, when they get to my humble Afton Station, travelers already have a pretty good feel for the Mother Road, and I think it's my duty and pleasure to continue and expand upon the hospitality they've already experienced. That 's a lot of big shoes to fill!


I remember my days of touring European and Asian countries with little or no knowledge of the language or local customs, often with unreadable maps. A stranger in a strange land requires a little more pampering than a native son -- a smile, a sincere handshake, a slight bow -- depending on the nationality of the visitors. Words aren't always necessary, but if the proprietor of a Route 66 attraction knows a few, it can't hurt. I want foreign visitors to Afton Station to leave feeling comfortable, appreciated, and informed -- and go home with only the best memories of our beloved road.

1 comment:

Trevor Hilton said...

I've been to Malaysia a couple of times. But, I knew someone there (my future wife) and English is widely spoken there. But, I didn't know local customs.
I can't imagine some of those foreign tourists, who can't speak English, or read street signs. Even have trouble ordering a cheeseburger and fries.

But, in spite of that, they still come here to cruise 66. But, so many Americans won't cruise it.