Monday, December 28, 2009

From the past

While rummaging through some old books and notebooks, I came across a blank book that someone gave me several years ago and in which I started writing and drawing daily. It didn't last long. I only have about 10 pages of writings and/or drawings, with hundreds of pages left to use in the future. Basically, it's a lot of doodles. I love to doodle!



I remember exactly where I was when I created the page above. At the time, I was still living up in Grove, which is close to Afton Station. I hadn't moved to Tulsa yet, but I was driving from Afton to Tulsa once or twice a week to shop or to see friends. On this particular day (Oct. 4, 2003), I stopped at the Blue Whale in Catoosa because for some reason I was inspired to write at that very minute. In retrospect I must have already been in love with the state of Oklahoma, judging by the fancy treatment I gave the word. The rest of it simply describes my thoughts during the drive. Not much has changed in that respect.

Why am I posting this? Well, for one thing, I'm kind of bored with staying indoors waiting for the ice on the roads to melt and don't have much else to talk about. But really I've posted it here because I surprised myself by the recollection that I loved the Tulsa-Afton ride on Route 66 even before Afton Station was really up and running. Back then, I was just going in the other direction.

4 comments:

Sharon in NC said...

I love your doodle Laurel...please share more with us!

I gave your blog a plug on MY blog today...Postcards From The Road at...

http://web.me.com/sharonsigmon/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Anonymous said...

When will you be at Afton Station this week? I need to run up to Galena to drop off something at Four Women and thought I might pop in for a visit if time and weather cooperate.

Laurel said...

Probably not until Sunday, I'm afraid. And I'm not even sure about that. I'll email you if I decide to come a different day.

Trevor Hilton said...

I used to doodle a lot, too.

The icy roads here are affecting me, of course.
But, my wife, being cooped up with our two children for two weeks, is about to go out of her mind!
I told her that, when this winter weather breaks and the roads clear, I'd take both kids and let her have the whole day to rest.