Monday, June 1, 2009

A quick comparison

The top picture of Main St. in Afton is from about 1919. The second is Main St. taken from approximately the same place a few days ago. Where did all those buildings go? I don't know why I continue to torture myself by making these comparisons between the old and the new. I guess it's because of my fascination with the cycle of life, whether it be animate or inanimate objects that are affected. I don't really have anything else to say about this, but apparently I do get perverse pleasure from mourning what used to be. At least the streets are paved now.


2 comments:

Trevor Hilton said...

Ecclesiastes 3:3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build

There was a time to build those buildings, then, when they had served their purpose, there was a time to tear them down.

But, like you, I hate to see history being destroyed.

Beth said...

Amazing, and yes, sad. I love the "Then and Now" books, although they always give me a pang when I see historic buildings torn down. Vegas is a prime example of that, with many great buildings from the 50's and 60's razed and gone. [sigh]