Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hot and Itchy

Up there at the top of each entry I'm asked to fill in the blank "Feeling _______" from an AOL-prepared list of feelings.  I left it blank today, because there isn't one that reads "Hot and Itchy".   My current uncomfortable predicament came about as a result of my attendance this morning at the ribbon cutting for the newly restored Cyrus Avery Route 66 Bridge and adjoining Plaza here in Tulsa.   Even though it was 10 a.m. and it wasn't as hot as the previous five days, it was pretty stinky hot out there in the sun, and the mosquitos had no trouble finding me.  There were the usual speeches, and no actual ribbon cutting that I could see from my vantage point, but it was a very nice event and I got to chat with a bunch of my Route 66 friends, some of whom I haven't seen for quite a while. 

I forgot my camera, but a few friends said they'd let me borrow some pics to put here on the blog.   Meanwhile, I'm thrilled to report that I'm hearing rumbles of thunder in the distance, a wondrous occurrence for our area, which hasn't had any precipitation for weeks and weeks.  But it also means I need to sign off for now, so as not to fry my modem.   Back later with a bit about the Cyrus Avery Bridge.

I'm back.  All that thunder and it rained about two drops!   I promised more about the Cyrus Avery Bridge, and since the local news outlet stories about today's ribbon cutting haven't hit the internet yet, here's a link to an article from a few months ago.  Tulsa World: Cyrus Avery plaza's construction nearly finished  With luck, I'll have some pics of the actual ceremony tomorrow.  The restoration of the bridge and the construction of the Plaza are really significant events in the history of Route 66 in Tulsa and, in fact, along the whole Route.

No comments: