Friday, November 25, 2011

Small Business Saturday

On the way to dialysis this morning at 5 a.m. I felt compelled to drive past a part of town that includes a number of big chain stores because I'm always intrigued by the concept of Black Friday. I took the above photo outside of Sears. Later, as I sat in the dialysis chair and the nurse was inserting, rather painfully, two needles into my sensitive arm, what crossed my mind was that I'd rather endure those needles than stand in line outside a big store at 5 a.m. But that's just me. I'm not a shopper, I'm not a line stander, and I can think of better things to compete for than the latest half price gadget.

On the other hand, tomorrow is Small Business Saturday, and I'm assuming I'll arrive at Afton Station to find a long line of folks getting ready to break down the door in order to be first to get to my key chains, sweatshirts, Route 66 guidebooks, and postcards.

Hah! That'll be the day!

My point, if you haven't figured it out yet, is that I fully and enthusiastically support the concept of Small Business Saturday. How happy I'd be to see lines forming outside of any mom 'n pop business tomorrow or any day. I know it won't happen, but I do encourage all of you to think about patronizing just one small local store this weekend.

No comments: