Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Stuff

Well, here it is (she said, cringing), by popular demand. . . The "Discover Oklahoma" TV show piece about Afton Station. Ok, maybe not by "popular demand". . . but one or two people have actually asked. :-)


______________________

An article on the front page of the Tulsa World yesterday has rekindled my desire to get back to the Tallgrass Prairie, which you've heard me call "my favorite place on Earth". I've talked about it here before, but this article provides some new insights. There are presently 2,700 head of free-roaming bison now, and the Nature Conservancy continues to obtain more land in order to add to the 37,100 acres which it now maintains in it's natural state and to continue to increase the bison herd. I feel so fortunate that such an amazing place of serenity and freedom (for both the wildlife and myself) is a mere 60 miles from my home. I will need to drive up there again very soon, lest I go crazy from too much civilization!

Tallgrass Prairie: Tulsa World

Be sure to watch the beautiful video on the site.

This is the wallpaper for my home page. I took it several years ago, and I believe it is a good representation of the vastness of the Tallgrass. The roads are dirt, the bison roam completely free, and the gentle prairie wind is always blowing.


3 comments:

Beth said...

Yay, Laurel! I just watched the video on Ron's site. You did a great job!

And Yay, Nature Conservancy! An excellent organization, maintaining some of our most beautiful places on earth...including our Swamp Angel and your Tallgrass Prairie! Hugs, Beth

Trevor Hilton said...

I think that's worthy of an Emmy Award.

I've never yet seen the Tall Grass Prairie. Need to get up there one day.

Ken Riches said...

Glad your TV spot is bringing in more business :o)