Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bagels

You all know I'm in love with my adopted state of Oklahoma, but like any other place, it does have a few drawbacks. In the case of Oklahoma, the biggest shortcoming for me is it's lack of "real" bagels. I'm of the absolute opinion that a good bagel can't be found outside of New York City. Believe me, I've done the research. Since my daughter from Chicago is coming here for a visit in about a week and a half, and I'd like to be able to offer her a bagel-and-lox feast, I took the situation in hand and ordered a dozen bagels from a place in NYC called H and H. Today, they arrived! Eight plain and four onion! The odor alone is making me salivate. I believe I'll have one for dinner tonight before I put the rest in the freezer. And yes, I'm excited about this enough that I'm writing a blog entry about it. I apologize!

On a far more serious note, our state was hit by a number of devastating tornadoes last night. The last I heard, there were 8 deaths, countless injuries, and many homes and businesses completely destroyed. I've checked with those I know who live in the area of the tornadoes (one of whom is a regular reader of this blog) and have been assured that they're all ok. I'm very thankful for that. Here in Tulsa, we had a lot of rain, a bit of wind, but not much else. We were the lucky ones.

2 comments:

Trevor Hilton said...

I like Panera Bread bagels. The problem is, they cost as much as a good burger and fries.

I'm still thanking God that those twisters were no worse than they were.

Beth said...

I'm so glad to hear that your friends are safe. The devastation I saw today is terrible, and I'll never get over what a tornado can do to a town. My thoughts are with the families of those who were lost.

You've made me resolved to have a bagel next time we go to New York! I love bagels anyway, and I didn't know that New York bagels were of such superior quality. Is it the flavor? The texture of the bread? Mmm, I'm salivating!

Hugs, Beth